Baptisms are held on Sunday at 2:00 PM in the church. Call the Church Office at least one month in advance.
For parents or for parishioners who are asked to be Godparents, please contact the Church Office (703-880-4302) no less than 4 weeks before the event takes place to see if you meet the Diocesan requirements and to register for a pre-baptismal class. Baptism forms can be found below.
Baptismal classes are held once a month (usually on the first Saturday of the month) in parish meeting room 209 (School entrance, upstairs classroom). This is required for all parents and God-parents prior to the child being baptized. Please contact the parish office to register before attending the class. Child care is not provided at these classes.
To be a Godparent in the Catholic Church the following criteria must be met:
1) You must be an active practicing Catholic.
2) Must be at least 16 years of age
3) Must have received all the Sacraments of Initiation; Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation.
3) If married, must be validly married in the Catholic Church.
4) Must have documentation you have attended a Pre-Baptismal Class at our church or a Catholic church of your choosing.
5) If you are not from St. Joseph's you must have a letter from your parish stating you are in good standing in order to fulfill the role of Godparent.
A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community may not serve as a Godparent but may be a witness to the baptism, together with a Catholic sponsor.
Someone who is Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, etc., or someone who has not been baptized may not serve as a witness. Also, a baptized Catholic who has not received the sacraments of First Communion, and Confirmation, or is living in a marriage not recognized by the Church, may not serve as a Christian Witness.